Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Where Your Treasure is...

Matthew 6:21 is a very well known and often quoted passage:  "Where your treasure is there will your heart be also."

However I have recently seen it in a different light than I previously had.  I don't know if I only heard it preached as such, or if the roadblock has been in my own mind.  Regardless, I have most often heard the passage used reciprocally - as some sort of biblical litmus test...  Show me where you spend your time and money and I will show you what you love or cherish.

Though that application could be considered and for that matter affirmed I am convinced Christ was speaking in a much more instructive sense.  You see in both the two verses prior and two paragraphs further Jesus is very directive.  Using imperative statements such as "store up..." and "seek first his kingdom..."

You see we too often, especially in a Western culture, follow after our heart.  We seek to do what we love or what we want rather than what we know to do.  Christ was assuring us that if we invest our treasure, our heart will assuredly follow.


Invest your treasure.  Your time, your energy, your talent and absolutely your MONEY in that which is Godly regardless of how you may feel about it.  Your heart will follow.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Every now and then I get amazed that God still loves me and speaks to me. And sometimes I still get a little surprised that I married Julie Jones.