Saturday, September 05, 2009

Hosea 13

The equivalent of this chapter seems similar to the parable of the prodigal son. The writing here seems to be something the father would be writing as he sits everyday on the front porch waiting for the son to come home.

If there was such a letter, it possibly went something like this:

Son,

I have been with you every breath of your life. (vs 4) I have seen you when you rejoiced and comforted you in dark times. (vs 5) I was the one who saw you through every stumble, mistake and heartache. When you didn't know I was watching, I was watching. When you didn't think I cared or loved you, I've never stopped.

But now, you have seen yourself great; you have believed in yourself more than the hands that have put in you the ability to be great. (vs 6) I knew before you left there was nothing but desolation waiting for you beyond the boundaries I have set for you. In your wanderings you have destroyed yourself. (vs 9) There is no way you can survive there so I know you will not be there long. (vs 13) The consequences of your actions are mighty, there is no denying that. (vs15)

I sit here each passing second, longing to hold you in my arms. Longing to forgive you and bring you back into safety. I am daily, desiring your return; as I am the only one who can save you. (vs 9-10)

Love,
Dad

Men, have we ever kindled the anger of God because of our waywardness? Have we ever looked up and found ourselves in a state we thought was too far gone? Replace your name in the letter above where addressed to 'son' and read it again.

Regardless if this letter is for us in our current state, we can all, always cling to verses 4 and 9: 4"Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me."  9"O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help."

Tim Jacobs

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Every now and then I get amazed that God still loves me and speaks to me. And sometimes I still get a little surprised that I married Julie Jones.