Sunday, March 09, 2008

Jay's Gospel Jubilee

Julie and I headed home after a wonderful Sunday night service and made dinner together. I was flooded with a memory of my family growing up.

There was a season in our lives when on Sunday evening after church we would head back to our little old house on Pennsylvania and make dinner. Usually mom and Joseph were in the kitchen cooking up tacos, burritos, hamburgers, something easy and good. Dad and I would be in the living room where we would often play chess waiting for supper.

Always in the background Dad would have Jay's Gospel Jubilee - a radio broadcast that was dedicated to Southern Gospel music on Sunday nights on KLUR, which was normally a country western station. I can still remember so vividly Dad waiting to hear The Gray Speckled Bird, getting excited when I would hear the announcer mention this week's sponsor was the Dutton Funeral Home, and the smell of ground beef cooking in the kitchen.

Work hard at keeping your house a home, and once it is, don't forget to spend some time there. I am so thankful my parents did

3 comments:

Gene Holley said...

Hey,Jason! I have the same memory! Can you believe that program was on when I was a kid also? Those were times I felt really safe and secure. Good to hear from you.

Mandy said...

Memories are a beautiful thing! They link us to the past and yet shed such a beautiful light on the future! Thank you for sharing yours with us. I love hearing of your family memories. I must admit I'd have enjoyed being a fly on the especially for the water fight. LOL

Keith and Carla said...

I remember that program also! Those are some good memories. Take care.

About Me

My photo
Every now and then I get amazed that God still loves me and speaks to me. And sometimes I still get a little surprised that I married Julie Jones.