Thursday, February 05, 2009

Look Well

"The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going." – Proverbs 14:15

 

I feel like much of America has not looked well to our going.  I feel like we are economically headed in the wrong direction.

 

In the Oval Office Barack Obama passionately railed on executives that make too much money in bonuses in a "time like this".  Well though I could not agree more, what I don't agree with is the principle that he has any right to do anything about it.

 

The government has no clue what the value of goods and services are in a free market, because they can't.  I no more want the government dictating what Steve Jobs or Gary Kelly make than I want to talk on a government issued phone or fly on a government issued plane.

 

Oh but of course the problem is those bonuses came from government issued funds.  And that just is the problem.  When the government bailed out companies that were poorly managed and inefficiently run it could certainly not have expected those children to about face and behave properly.  Furthermore, the fact that they had not the foresight to prevent such misgivings and poor conduct are proof enough they have no business in the market.

 

And so today our fine looking president sternly warned congress of an impending irreversible economic crisis that would require a trillion dollar bailout.  How misguided could we be?

 

Romans 13:1 urges us to "submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established."  I think sometimes we as Christians forget that we are the established authority in our country.  God has ordained a country governed by the people.

 

I know that I am praying for our country and it's leaders.  I plead for you to join me. I also ask that we would "look well to our going" and take hold of the authority that God has ordained in us by being active in what ways we can. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Every now and then I get amazed that God still loves me and speaks to me. And sometimes I still get a little surprised that I married Julie Jones.