Tuesday, January 16, 2007



Last night I listed again for the first time to the strong and powerful words that were spoken in the “symbolic shadow” of Abraham Lincoln on August 28, 1963. I have never been the follower of History that one should be. I know briefly of the figures that brought about a most pressing change in the United States, and know less of their persons. Black History month would come and go but I had neither the facilitation nor inclination to learn more than what I would consider to be an average understanding.

Even still I believe that there is a power beyond my comprehension found in the spoken word. When the word spoken is true, just, and righteous it stirs the soul. There are songs that open my heart and allow emotion to pour in. There are words that bring pause and consideration. But, then there is truth. Truth that moves, stirs, excites. I’ve heard it from the pulpit. I’ve read it on my brother’s blog. And thanks to contributors like MLK I’ve read it from the pages of my history. I don’t post to proclaim this man as more than what he was. Perhaps I will find Patrick Henry’s birthday and write some small epilogue near that day for such words as “give me liberty or give me death.” Perhaps I will write as well about those men who had consecrated Gettysburg “far above our poor power to add or detract,” but regardless I will say that Martin Luther King Jr. stood just a short time ago and with powerful words of truth hewn a stone of hope out of the mountain of despair. I think my world is better for it. I hope you had a wonderful Martin Luther King Jr. Day. If you would like to read and listen to the entirety of “I Have a Dream” you can do so here. It will take about 18 minutes.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Every now and then I get amazed that God still loves me and speaks to me. And sometimes I still get a little surprised that I married Julie Jones.