Friday, March 23, 2007

There is a study bible that is called the Serendipity Bible. Serendipity is defined as an aptitude for encountering unexpected desirable discoveries. What a great thought! Anytime you open up the word you really can expect an unexpected discovery. There are many better study bibles out there, I just thought I would mention the name of this particular one.

My mind has found so much to think on in a passage we recently read. In his second letter Peter lists a hierarchy that can be applied so many ways.

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. II Peter 1:5-7

It really is a beautiful transition. That first with our faith comes an intent and desire for goodness. Then through that we thirst and desire knowledge of Him and His word, for in it we define what is good and what is not. Then comes that self control to abstain from not only what isn't lawful, but what we also find imprudent. Next we have to find patience to wait on Him. Then we truly start to see that Holiness and Separation (perhaps why holiness is not seen quickly in a new believer is because these other foundations must have some sort of foothold). Then as all men can see that we are called into his marvelous light we love one another, and last but not least comes that unconditional and undeserved love that we all need so much more of.

The only problem with the word serendipity is that it implies happenstance or the unexpected. Perhaps if I reminded myself of how constant the blessings are that I find in the word I would linger at the table a little longer.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Every now and then I get amazed that God still loves me and speaks to me. And sometimes I still get a little surprised that I married Julie Jones.